Saturday, July 30, 2011

False Humility?

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. "

I think I'm my biggest critic.. (I know, I know.. to those of you who've been around me the past few days, that may come as a shock, with how egotistical I've been acting.) But seriously, I am truly hard on myself.

I've been wondering lately if the attitude of self-deprecation isn't actually a form of humility after all. And I've been wondering if it's dishonoring to God. He fashioned me before the foundations of the world. He designed every part of me before I ever began. I'm fearfully and wonderfully made, and I'm made in His image.

I've always had a hard time relating to David in the Psalms when he would go off about how he was righteous and his enemies are wicked, but after thinking about it with a new perspective, David knew that his righteousness was given to him by God, and to ignore that fact would be ignoring His wonderful works.

Humility isn't self-deprecation. Humility is recognizing that all I am and all I've been given is from God, and I've done nothing to deserve any of it.

I really want to praise my Maker today, and recognize His wonderful works. The more He gives me grace to see Him, the more humbled I am. And God gives grace to the humble. It's an awesome cycle.

1 comment:

  1. This is like exactly where I have been lately, thank you very much for such a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.