Monday, July 25, 2011

Isaiah 45:3

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variables or shadow of turning" (James 1:17)

Last week my friend showed me a list she was compiling on her iPhone. It was called, "1000 gifts." She was making a conscious effort to recognize all the little (and big) blessings that we take for granted every day, things that God uses to prove himself to us. Things like, hot showers, raw honey, laughter and moonrises.

I was really inspired by the idea, and pulled out my phone, writing a few of the gifts God had given me that weekend. I got to 60 without hardly trying, and went away humbled, grateful and in awe of my amazing, loving God. It changed my whole mindset while I was dwelling on the idea. My little brother called me, all frustrated and upset, and I was so tickled to death that I'd been given such a cute little brother that I couldn't possibly respond in kind to his frustration, and his anger blew out like a candle.

When I think of all that God has given me and continues to give me, whether or not I'm deserving of it, I'm so humbled. God gives grace to the humble, which is another gift that humbles me more. It's a beautiful cycle, one I hope will never end.

"How can I say thanks for the things You have done for me
Things so undeserved, yet You gave to prove Your love to me
The voices of a million angels could not express my gratitude
All that I am, and ever hope to be, I owe it all to You."

A father of ten in church yesterday was sharing about gifts after singing this song. He's been out of work for six years due to an injury, and had been reading an article about workers compensation, and how families were being torn apart every day due to work-related injuries. He and his wife adopted six kids in the past three years. Instead of dwelling on the fact that he isn't working, and may never be able to provide for his family through physical labor again, (the only way he knows) this father was recognizing God's gifts to him, thanking God, praising and glorifying Him for all He had done.

He said in his broken English, "Not only has God kept our family together, He gave us six more kids!"

"I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD" (Isaiah 45:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.