Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9th, 8am

I wanted to write more, to hone in my skills, (or lack thereof) to challenge myself, to sharpen my mind and to have a release for things that I'm mulling over. The only problem is, instead of writing more, I read more. I'm addicted to two different blogs, and of course I have to check out any links those two talented bloggers reccomend. And the more I read, the less I'm inclined to think of myself as a writer. Sure, I've written a few things that were good. I've had a couple articles and short stories printed, (in a paper newsletter for girls, but printed none the less!) but when I sit down to write, nothing comes.

Maybe I'm afraid of putting myself out there. I can write short stories because they're not about me. I can dramatize bible stories, write observations of other people, and write in my journal, but can I really write what I think and feel for other people to read?

Or maybe it really is just laziness. My writing isn't good enough, because I don't work hard enough at it. Because I don't know all the rules to writing. I don't always know how many commas to use, and when to use the semi-colon.

It could be lack of content. Nah. Its not lack of content. The only way I wouldn't have anything to write about would be if I was too lazy to dig it up.

And its definitely not lack of time. I have more time on my hands then I know what to do with. (Well, I do know what to do with it, but cleaning out my closet and drawers just isn't interesting enough to me)

So, I'm going to cancel my netflix, (I can't really afford it anyways.) stay away from hulu, (except for Rookie Blue and Combat Hospital) and take that time to write. Maybe I'll even be able to use it as an excuse to quit working out.

Who am I kidding. I don't workout.

1 comment:

  1. Merrie,

    I’m so proud of you for setting a goal and striving after it.

    Where would you be if you were content with how things are right now. I’m challenged by your desire to grow; be it in writing, your spiritual life, and even volleyball. We aaalll want to be better at that, eh? ;-)

    I personally love your writing, but I might just be a biased best friend ;-)

    <3 Shelly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.