Saturday, October 15, 2011

So, being real about who I am for a minute....

I was filing a 3.5 inch stack of completed orders when my boss walked into the office.

"Well that was interesting. I just did an estimate for a lady who is buying her husband a house..."

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I smirked to myself, judging her.

"Doesn't that seem a little backwards?" was my smug response. In my defense, I was still hashing over an ongoing discussion about women in the work force and their place in this world, and how it affects marriage dynamics and men's egos. I type-casted and judged her. Instantly. Just like that.

It turns out she's setting up this new house to bring her husband home from the hospital. He was hit by a car while riding a bike. He hasn't spoken since, and is just now learning to write. He can't even sit up in a chair which is why she's buying a new house that she can set up to accommodate his rolling bed. She's excited about spending the rest of her life taking care of her invalid husband.

I judged her instantly, and I was so wrong. What a jerk.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! I'm finding that more often then not, when I am quick to judge, I end up regretting it. I am always so challenged and inspired when I see or hear about women serving their husbands so selflessly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Merrie! Your posts pretty much always make me think :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.