Monday, November 7, 2011

Sleep and Spiders

It all started last night. Not wanting the party to end, I stayed up later than I should, but still went to bed earlier than the rest of the six girls I share a room with. Ask anyone who knows me, the best way to get under my skin is to keep me up when I'm trying to sleep. If I've already fallen asleep and you wake me up....well... my sisters recommend you have a good life insurance policy.

Things that are normally funny and cute are suddenly not funny to me at all. Even my precious little sister failed to make me laugh when she brought me back from the edge of blissful sleep to ask if it would keep me awake if she talked in her sleep. Yes it was ironic, but I didn't find it funny at the time.

All in all, not a great way to start a work week. Rushing out the door in the morning on the verge of being terribly late, finding a black widow in my office, sitting at my desk freezing, all of these were contributing factors.

Feeling very sorry for myself I picked up my phone and started to compose a text message to drum up some sympathy.

"Icy cold fingers and a black widow in my office. Yep, apparently it's Monday!"

Instantly I was convicted. My attitude did a 180 before I finished the text.

"A mug of hot water to warm my fingers on and an Uncle to kill the spider. Yep, apparently God still loves me!"

It's funny how a little bit of perspective can change your whole day.

4 comments:

  1. lol funny you should write about that, I had a very similar experience this morning where I was convicted that if I start every Monday with a mindset that the day is gonna suck - of course it will. If I change, everything changes. I like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true! I've had days like that where everything just seems to go wrong, but then you start looking at it from a different perspective, and things seem to change.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is funny from the stance that this is a very similar to the post I blogged about just the other day! Yes, isn't it interesting how quickly we allow our circumstances to dictate your happiness/joy? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very amazing!! I have sooo been there!! I wish I could tell you I won't go back. I can only try not to...As you can tell by your previous commenters, we seem to keep learning this lesson!!! I agree with David that "I like your writing."
    G. Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.