Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year’s Resolutions: because everybody's doing it!

I flip-flopped back and forth a bunch of times before making my list of New Year's resolutions- I know, I know... Indecision is not a good way to start a resolution- partly because I wanted to be original, and partly because I don't like making promises I'm likely to break.

Pulling out my list from last year I realized that with the right wording I managed to keep most of the rules I made for myself...

Drink more water
Eat more veggies
Write more
Play music more


Proverbs 28:19 says "Where there is no vision, the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he”.

At the risk of perishing, I started writing, but if the guy who keeps the law is happy doesn't it follow that the one who breaks it is sad? So I rephrased my list. Instead of writing, "In the year 2012 I will..." I wrote something to the effect of "In the year 2012 I want to..."

I'm not really cut out for rules, it would seem. Just the other day my brother found a Bible that I had lost a couple years ago.. He identified it as mine by a paper that fell out listing a bunch of rules I had made for myself. We had a good laugh over them, and not because they were bad rules at all, but because the reality of me behaving the way I told myself I would behave was preposterous.

Once I break a rule it seems senseless to continue to keep it anymore.

I've already broken every resolution on my list, but it still remains true. They are still things that I want to do, and I'll continue to get back up, dust myself off, and keep trying until I forget about the list altogether. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.