Thursday, January 12, 2012

Deaf to dehydration



We were riding in the van on our way to the mountains, all amped up for a day of snowboarding when it started. Our friend was talking about health and fitness when he showed us that if you pinch the loose skin around your knuckle for 5 seconds and it remains standing up for more than 3 seconds it’s a sign of dehydration.

I thought it was silly at first, because the skin on my knuckle stood up until I pushed it down, but I would know if I was dehydrated!

Figuring that drinking the prescribed amount of water couldn’t hurt, I took the challenge. I started carrying a water bottle with me everywhere I went, and practically drowned myself in water. It took a conscious effort to keep it up. At first constantly drinking water (and it's repercussions) were annoying and inconvenient, but before long if I didn’t have it I began to thirst for it.

I read this yesterday and it totally hit home:
It takes complete and total focus as well as a conscious effort to put God first. It just can't be done half-heartedly and with a lazy attitude. Sometimes I feel like it, sometimes I don't. Big deal? Yeah, big deal. I serve a God that is way too incredible to be put second, and a God that is too good to be given my leftovers.

After reading Psalm 42 this morning,

“As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?”

I realized that I don’t ever want to go back to the place where my system deceives itself to get by with just a little bit of water.

Not physically or spiritually.

1 comment:

  1. Good lesson both physically and spiritually, Merrie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.