Monday, February 27, 2012

Dreams vs. Reality

The cobwebs of sleep were still covering my brain as I settled on the couch with my coffee cup, my blanket and Bible. I pushed the troubling dream out of my head and started to read.

It was a re-occurring type of dream that had plagued me for weeks about a month ago. The type that is just believable enough to stay with me throughout the day. The type that drags me down with questions that can't be answered. I'd taken it to the Lord, searched my heart, begged Him to take it away, and finally it had stopped.

And now it was back for two nights in a row. The details weren't the same every time, but it left the same blanket of doubt and discontent as always. Feelings I had dealt with and overcome in my waking hours were coming back to haunt me in my subconscious.

"It's not fair!" I complained to God, mechanically copying out a verse to meditate on throughout the day. "These thoughts get to take residence in my head without my permission. I don't even get a chance to try to say no when it's in my dream!"

I continued to doodle in my journal, darkening key words, accentuating the curves and sweeping lines.

And then, for the first time, I read the verse that I had chosen to meditate on. Obviously, I'd read it before, but this time I read it with my mind awake.

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of God in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong, take heart and wait for the Lord.

"I can be so dumb sometimes." I almost laughed out loud.

A slap in the face has never been so comforting in my life, shaking off the blanket of doubt and discontent and finally waking me up from my bad dream.

I don't know what He's trying to teach me, or what the purpose for this test is, but "I remain confident of this..."

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Who Switched Off my Brain by Caroline Leaf? Super interesting! She talks about how our dreams are made up of all the things our brain takes in during the day that it didn't have time to process.
    Dreams are just weird and I've always wondered where they come from, so that shed a little light on it. :D

    One of my favorite "thought verses" - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee. Is. 26:3

    I like your new blog look btw.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I'll have to look it up. Love you too. =)

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.