Friday, February 17, 2012

Just how big is big?

It was that age old conversation, that argument we all had as kids, spreading out our arms as far as they could reach to describe just how much bigger our dad was than the neighbor kid's dad. The one where they would touch a point on the driveway and run all the way across saying, "My dad is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisss big." and we would respond, "Well my dad is bigger!"

Yeah, that.

I had that same conversation the other morning. I watched the sunrise. I sat at the edge of the ocean, my toes buried in the sand. I watched the waves come rolling in, one after another, no two the same. I lifted up my face to be warmed by the sunshine, my heart dancing for joy.

After awhile my brother came back from surfing, followed by our friend. We all three sat the edge of the ocean and conversation flowed.

"You know they say that ninety-five percent of the ocean remains unexplored?"

The appropriate "Wow's" were given and then we were quiet, contemplating just exactly how big "big" is.

Then it happened.

"Remember when we were kids, the whole, 'My dad is thiiiis big' thing?" I asked, running back and forth in the sand to emphasize my point.

"Yeah?"

"I feel like a kid, saying this, but..." And reaching my arms toward the ocean, "My God is bigger!!"

2 comments:

  1. That made me smile :) oh the good old days of being kids! Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.