Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Worth the drive

The twelve of us huddled around a table in the lodge, the early morning light streaming through the windows. Other skiers and snowboarders strolled by, sending us curious glances and occasionally staring for longer than was polite.

6am is an early hour for a Sunday morning, but the coffee cups on the table made up for the early part, and the anticipated day on the slopes made up for the drive.

We took turns reading from John 15 around the circle.

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love."

"If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love."

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."

(I already knew I wasn't gonna like this topic. Not that I have anything against it, but I've come to see more and more lately how bad I am at loving.)

We started to discuss what that looked like. What it means to love someone - and not just anyone, but to love the body of Christ.

Oh good. I'm in the clear with that one. I'm good at loving my friends. Or I thought, anyways. As we dug deeper into the Word, my conscience was pricking me harder and harder.

"Love is sacrifice."

"Love is wanting the best for someone even if its the hard thing."

"Love is intervention, sometimes."

"Love is desiring to grow spiritually- pursuing spiritual gifts - just for the benefit of the other members of the body."

They were all right, you know. I don't think we completely summed up what it is to actually love one another in our 20 minute Bible study, but I came away convicted and challenged and encouraged.

So it was worth it after all. The getting up early, the long drive - yep. It was worth it. Going all the way up the mountain and not snowboarding, because they wouldn't change our tickets after all - yep, totally worth it.

Oh, and then there's that last verse - the one that I've been mulling over for days now.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.