Thursday, April 5, 2012

If life had a "rewind" option...

Yesterday was a good day. The late afternoon sun streamed through the open windows while the family gathered in the kitchen to discuss the events of the work day behind us and the evening ahead of us.

I could get used to evenings like this I remember thinking to myself. My family does a lot. We go a lot of places, host a lot of people, do a lot of things - but that evening, it was just us for a little while. Different ones would be going out, and some others weren't home, making it not quite a family evening, just a quiet one. Nobody to cook for, nobody to entertain.

I wandered into the bedroom only to hear voices out the window. Peeking through the curtain I could see our new neighbor walking around the yard, giving her young nephew a tour.

We'd met her 4 days ago at church, and after spending the whole day with us, this was her third time back in just 4 days.

In my mind I played out scenarios where someone could take her aside and tell her that she was welcome to come to church on Sunday, but all the other days of the week she should give our family some space.

To be honest, those thoughts shocked me. Shocked and disgusted me. I wanted to take them back, but there they were, glaring at me, accusing me, revealing where my heart stood on the matter.

"You wanna meet my Pastor and his wife?" I heard her ask her nephew, a hint of pride in her voice.

His answer must have been affirmative, because soon I heard my parents greeting her from the kitchen, their welcome sincere.

Ashamed of my own heart, I drug my feet back into the kitchen in time to see her back, as she carried her nephew away.

"We're a novelty to her" I commented to my dad.

"Hmm?"

I ran out of words to explain it so my dad took it up.

"She likes it here. She get attention and she feels accepted."

If she only knew... you wanted to send her away. My conscience accused me.

Today I read in Colossians 3 the exhortation that says:

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive... forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues, put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

I just hope I'll have another opportunity to show Christ's love to our new friend. And I hope I won't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.