Sunday, July 22, 2012

Heading home

Conversation is rising to a fever pitch in the van around me. Ideas and stories are bouncing around, comparing experiences and sharing giggles.

My face is roasting from a sunburn. My lips are chapped. My muscles are aching and I'm exhausted.

Camp Dwight was as amazing as ever, but in a way, it was so much more. The weekend started out with a 14 hour drive through the night and cutting garlic scapes at my sister-in-law's family farm. By the time noon rolled around I was ready to crash.

Retiring to the hammock under the trees for a nap, I pulled out 1 John to prep myself for interacting with 600+ people from all different walks of life and all manner of beliefs at camp. The first verses of chapter 4 jumped out at me in a brand new light.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:"

I was floored! The chapter goes on to say that God dwells in anyone ho confesses that Jesus is the Son if God.

I'm so quick to judge other believers who have different ideas than I do and to dismiss their views as invalid. But realizing that these spirits are of God changes that.

Fellowship with 600+ people who have my God dwelling in them? It's so much more than amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.