Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Of 'Check Engine' lights

She strutted into my office with a stack of papers, all of them with questions she should be able to answer, all of them apparently needing my expertise.

In the beginning I was flattered that she respected my intelligence enough to bring her questions to me, but it got old fast.

I could feel my blood pressure start to rise.

"I have to make sure to leave before you do!" She giggled.  "You're so smart!  When you leave, there won't be anyone to answer my questions."



You mean, do all your work? I mentally added.

This isn't some inexperienced intern or anything, but the company's accountant.  She's been here for 6 months.  Long enough for her benefits to kick in, but apparently not long enough to learn the ropes.

Years ago I heard a sermon, (preached by my very own dad) that said anger and aggravations are like check engine lights on our dashboard.  If you have a relational problem with somebody it's a warning of a bigger problem.  Perhaps even a relational problem with God.

This past Sunday the idea was broached again.  This time we were instructed to close our eyes and bring to mind somebody who annoyed us.  It wasn't hard.

But Dad!  (I mentally argued)  I'm totally justified in being annoyed with this lady!  I already have a huge work load without having to listen to her chat, complain, ask simple questions without listening to the answers - and without her dumping all her work on me!  The worst part of it all is that she's not a believer, so I HAVE to be sweet to her!

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40


But Lord!  (Again, arguing mentally) She's not hungry or sick... She's not naked, needing clothed.  She's just lazy and annoying.

"And I love her.  Just like I love you.   I died for her just like I died for you.  How can you love Me without loving the one who I love?"

Ouch.

Check engine lights are usually an ouch too.  Time to pull over and evaluate the damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.