Monday, September 24, 2012

About Daddy.

I was tired, grumpy, hungry, tired and grumpy.  (Those traits tend to go together a lot for me.)  I'd been sitting in traffic for an hour and a half to get to the beach where my family was camping.  My day of thankfulness turned into a nightmarish day with anything and everything going wrong.  (Which wasn't all together surprising, seeing I had flippantly resolved to be thankful for anything and everything.)

When I pulled up in front of our campsite I snapped at my sister, pouted, and felt sorry for myself.  I know I'm not painting a pretty picture here at all, but in the interest of honesty, I want to tell the whole truth.

My dad was quietly observing my bad day and my bad attitude (Okay - my temper tantrum) from the get go.    He walked up and announced that he wanted to go get coffee and did I want to come? 

If anyone was less deserving of a coffee date with Dad at that moment, it was me. Seriously.  I'm not being modest here.  I was behaving like an absolute spoiled brat.

He actually wanted to hear my whole list of anything and everything I had to be thankful for - from the 3am wake up call to falling back asleep and being late for work.  Wrestling an old lock after I'd already realized I was extremely late, fighting traffic, a hectic day at the office.  He really wanted to hear it. 

He pulls me into random hugs to tell me that he loves me. 

He skateboarded alongside of me for two miles because I wanted to go running and it was already dark out.

He gave up an entire surf session to get me standing up on a wave.

Besides the part where he works and sacrifices to keep us all fed and clothed, he really cares about the little things - the ones that make all the difference in the world.

"Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - Matthew 7

I've been overwhelmed lately thinking about how good my earthly daddy is.  As good as I've got already, the scope of my Heavenly Father's goodness - well, it's incomprehensible.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Merrie, thank you for sharing this post. We who have had loving earthly fathers can more readily appreciate our heavenly Father than so many who have fathers who do not care for them or are entirely absent, by choice, from their lives. I appreciate your honesty regarding your attitude today and, also, the way you shared how your daddy listened, took time, spent his energy on your behalf and gave you so many indications of his love and his care for you. What a good example of God's love.

    Just a thought:

    Tomorrow, perhaps rather than determining to be thankful for whatever comes your way or happens you can ask for the Holy Spirit to be thankful through you and empower you to show his "attitude" through you. I cannot do anything as well by strong determination as the Spirit does when I acknowledge my incapability and his great ability and ask him to take over! :) What a blessing that, as your daddy understood your weakness today and loved you unconditionally, our Father knows our frame, he remembers that we are but dust and he pitieth those of us that fear him! (found in Psalm 103)

    Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. You're totally right. I'm almost positive my day began to fail right about when I decided that I was in control of my attitude.

      Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. You would never catch my dad skateboarding or surfing with me, or going for coffee for that matter, lol, but my dad is helpful to me in the same types of ways (in his own style)and I too am very grateful for an earthly father that models the goodness and kindness of our Heavenly Father. Thanks for sharing. You have no idea how a transparent post like this encourages and convicts and helps people who may have similar but different struggles and circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.