Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When I drop the ball...

When I was approached and asked to write a devotional last week I agreed without hardly thinking about it.  I had no other choice.  I believe that God is calling me to testify to His goodness through my relationship with Him - so I said yes- but inwardly I was cringing.  See, that morning was the first time in weeks that I had opened my bible to read it for myself.

My spiritual life had been in a slump and my old enemies, Laziness and Complacency had crept in and taken over.  I was just flat-lining.  No mountains or valleys, just deadness.

 And what Christian wants to admit to that?  Not this one.

Feeling defeated and ashamed for being such a failure as a christian I flipped open my Bible that morning. It was the Lord who directed me to Psalm 25

"In You, Lord my God, I put my trust.
I trust in You.  Do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.  
No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame."

The Psalm went on and on, reassuring me, encouraging me, speaking to my soul, meeting me exactly where I was at.

I can't testify to a relationship with Christ when I haven't actually been in fellowship with Him.  That would be like me telling the world that I'm super close with the girl I grew up across the street from whom I haven't talked to in ten years.

But I can still testify to this -  I serve a God who is faithful when I'm not, who makes me His priority when I've shelved my Bible and then, when I come crawling back to the throne of grace, and who meets me where I'm at and carries me home.

1 comment:

  1. You have to remember that opening your bible and reading isn't the be all and end all of maintaining a close relationship with God. We also grow closer to the Lord in our daily interactions with others. When I was hungry and you fed me, when I was naked and you clothed me... We witness with every breath we take, with each smile we offer to a sibling or stranger. You didn't drop the ball.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.