Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Lessons from the Little One

I think that God, in all his wisdom, designed things so that babies don’t remember their first year.  The first year is so crucial in brain and muscle development, but it’s also a pretty big deal in mom development.  

I am positive that God designed it this way to give us moms a chance to figure out how to be moms without our babies being able to hold our rookie mistakes against us.  

It sure has been a learning process, and interestingly enough, Tucker has had a better attitude about my shortcomings as a mom than I have.   

There was that one day when I was trying to cram in too many errands between feedings and naps - Tucker woke up in the checkout line of the grocery store and started crying to tell me he was hungry.  By the time I pull into the driveway and park he’s screaming his little head off.  I still had to unload the perishable groceries, the baby and the diaper bag, run to the bathroom, and fix a snack so I didn’t pass out before I could sit down to feed the little guy.  After what seemed like an eternity to both of us, I sat down and latched him on.  He nursed frantically for about 30 seconds and then stopped to look up into my face and smile.   And smile.  And smile. 

Sometimes I wonder if babies actually can remember stuff and they just have a greater capacity for forgiveness than we do.  I can definitely see Tucker remembering a lot of things he’s learned in the 3 months he’s been born.  And I don’t think any of us ever forget some of the essential life skills we learn in our first year, (crawling, eating, drinking, etc). 

It’s no wonder Jesus said that we were to be like little children if we wanted to enter the kingdom of heaven.  The way Tucker forgives so easily and completely.  The way he trusts his parents implicitly.  The way he will calm down when he hears my voice, and will spend hours of the day studying my face, as if there were nothing in the world he would rather do. 

If I forgave the ones I felt wronged by as quickly and completely wouldn’t I walk in freedom and enter the kingdom of heaven right away? 

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." Romans 14:17

If I looked at my heavenly Father with the same awe, adoration and dependency that little children look at their parents with - what a difference that would make in my peace and my joy!

1 comment:

  1. Merrie: What a delightful post and how wonderful to learn you are a mom, now! Congrats on Baby Tucker. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Blessings, Izzy Lyman

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.