Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When I'm not allowed to be miserable...

Everybody loves the Monday right? At least everybody loves to complain about the Monday. And a Monday with me working having a nasty head cold while my family is camping at the beach for the second consecutive week definitely seems like something to complain about.

All day I was determined to be miserable, and all day, without fail, it seems like God was trying to show me reasons to be happy.

Random strangers making conversation, time to actually sit down to breakfast, cheerful customers on the phone, my extremely cheerful coworker, the employee at Subway asking "how's it going, beautiful?" in his awesome South African accent.

The South African accent really clinched it for me. "Why do you insist on sending awesome things across my path while I'm determined to be miserable?" I whined to God.

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

"I know what you need before you ask."

So later on when Siri could understand me better with a head cold then she does under normal circumstances; when everyone I encountered everywhere I went was extremely helpful, taking time to joke and make small talk; when I acquired an unexpected car-pool for the long drive down to the beach, all I could do was roll my eyes.

That was my miserable Monday. I wonder how Tuesday will treat me? Anyways, as miserable as I was on Monday, I'm determined to be thankful on Tuesday.

When I told my dad about my resolve for gratitude, he laughed.  "Be careful what you wish for!"

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, those accents! :D
    There's always so much to be thankful for that we really should never be grumpy again....
    For some reason that's easier thought of then acted upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your line "Why do you insist on sending awesome things across my path while I'm determined to be miserable". Isn't that just like God. He has a way of mingling mercy with justice, kindness with correction, and blessing with rebuke. He accomplishes His sanctifying work through the most gentle means possible yet without sparing our consciences the pain of conviction. He gives gifts while showing us the error of our ways. I had an experience similar to this while in China. I wanted to have a pity party about breaking my camera and a few other things that weren't going my way but He got my attention and showed me the glory of His Goodness instead. He even showed me the blessing of temporarily not having a camera. I might post about that in my own blog that I am considering starting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.