Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Awestruck

I was driving to my sister's house and took a turn off on a whim.  The road winded in front of me through the forest, through the fog and rain.  I'm sure it wasn't the best day to go exploring, but I had time and a full tank of gas.

When I parked my car beside a lake, the rain had let up.  Silence reigned supreme.  The normal rustling and chirping noises of the forest were stilled.  The sound of my car door echoed off the trees, breaking the silence for a moment before being swallowed up in the fog that shrouded the lake.

I'll tell you, in those minutes I spent outside of the car, I felt incredibly small. 


"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."



The forest was towering and impenetrable by light, the lake seemed endless as it faded away in the gloom.  

"He's so great
And I'm so small
Jesus holds me 
Lest I fall
He's the ruler 
Over all
He's so great
And I'm so small."

Feeling awed and slightly intimidated by the greatness and power of God, I got back in the car and headed back down to the highway.

It reminded me a little bit of when Moses was begging to see God's glory and God said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, 'Yah' in your presence.  I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But," God said, "You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

Then, God, knowing the fullness of His glory was too much for Moses, chose instead to protect Moses while giving him a small glimpse of Himself.


Truly, the heavens are declaring the Lord's glory.  All of creation testifies His power.

1.) He's So Great - Written by Ron Hamilton 2.) Exodus 33:10 - Probably written by Moses

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Merrie! You managed to "randomly" drive to Bead Lake. It's my favorite place to train.
    ~D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.