Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Working today.

"Employers around here don't hire 'Christians' because they've made such a bad name for themselves."

"Your work ethic is a huge testimony."

 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."


I quit my job.  Accurately I quit my job a few months ago, back in May.  That was when I told my employers that I wouldn't be staying past the original one year commitment.  While it's a good job working for a good company with great people, it's not where I want to be in five years, (or even one year) so I severed the tie.

The quotes I wrote above are all snippets of actual conversations I had within a three day period.  I didn't bring up the topic either time.

More timely words have never been spoken.  (Or maybe they have in some time and place in history.  I don't know.)  I had been showing up at the office, putting in my time, getting my required tasks completed and going home, because what's the point of investing into a company or a position that I was leaving?

I have 40 days left of working here.  I know because when I changed the calendar over to August this morning, I counted up the work days I have left.

The first time I counted it was 65 days.  65 days to fill the position of customer service representative, to answer cranky customer's calls.  65 days to watch the clock moving every so slowly towards that blessed five o'clock.

Now there are only 40 days left.  40 days to give my best, to change cranky customers into satisfied customers.  40 days to serve my employers as unto the Lord.

You know, as a Christian, I should know better than anybody that we don't really have a guarantee of any days left.  Each day should be lived as if it were my last.

In reality, I have today.  Today to give my best.  Today to do everything as unto the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Go Merrie! :D Only 40 days - it will be over in no time. So then what? You have plans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides sleeping in for about a week, and hopefully road tripping acrossbthe country, no. Not really. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.