Friday, August 31, 2012

"Lookin' down at creation"

I got home last night (like most nights) in time to help put the finishing touches on dinner.  The kitchen at our house has a sort of gravitational pull that draws us all in, whether we're working on food, snacking on food, cleaning up food or just chilling, there always tends to be a crowd there.  For some reason last night we were discussing the shift in popular music, how rap and techno beats are fading out and more creative and alternative styles are coming in.

"I bet I could predict what the next number one song is gonna be," my little brother boasted. "Merrie, can I use your iPhone?"

Things were quiet for a little while before this horrible children's choir's rendition of an old Carpenters song started playing through the speakers.

We, being the silly individuals that we are, can be, started dancing and exclaiming how this song was just our absolute favorite ever.

*gasp* "How in the world did you find this?"

"Oh, I googled 'the absolute number one song for 2012' and this is what came up!"

"I looooooooove this song!" *spinning in circles*

"I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world"

I've been listening to this awesome (and super convicting) sermon series by Chip Ingram all about love and lasting relationships while driving to and from work this past week.  He talks a lot about the difference between God's recipe for a relationship and the worlds recipe for a relationship, about the difference between love and infatuation, and he focuses on something that really hit home to me.  He said that a person who needs an "other" or a relationship to feel fulfilled is the very person who is not ready for a relationship at all.

He stresses that every person needs to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are loved, cherished and worth dying for to Jesus.  A person who knows this doesn't even need another person to fulfill them.

So naturally I've been pondering just what love looks like, just how that applies to me, and just how loved I really am. I've been thinking about it so much that I found myself singing that silly song, only now with conviction.  "I'm on top of the world, lookin' down on creation and the only explanation I can find is the Love that I've found ever since You've been around, Your love puts me at the top of the world."

P.S.  Maybe the song wouldn't seem silly if my first introduction to it wasn't through Kid History and the second introduction was someone else besides that terrible children's choir.  Anyways, it rang true for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.