Monday, January 7, 2013

Rethinking Resolutions.

"Be kind"

"No more energy drinks"

"I'm making a resolution to not make resolutions"

"Run a 26 minute 5k."

"Write on my blog twice a month."

"Become confident taking jumps on my snowboard."


We stood around the island in the kitchen last night discussing our resolutions for 2013 and wondering how long they each would last.  The resolution I had to cut out sugar for the first three months of 2013 has already gone kaput and I'm behind on the resolution to get a collective 2,555 hours of sleep. (averaging 7 hours per night)

Resolutions.  What is the point?


I sat at the island again this morning watching the morning sun wake up and start it's day.  I read in Isaiah where it cautions those who try to see ahead and know God's plans, saying, "Let God hurry; let Him hasten his work so we may see it.  The plan of the Holy One of Israel - let it approach, let it come into view, so we may know it." And I started to wonder about the wisdom of making plans and goals.

And I weighed the other verses in scripture that came to mind, including James chapter four which says, "Now listen, you who say, 'tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life? It is even a vapor which appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say," If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.  As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes.  All such boasting is evil."

But the arguments for the other side popped up as well.  "Where there is no vision, the people perish," and "A man's heart devises his way but the Lord directs his steps."

I realized this morning that I had been going about my resolutions all wrong.  In resolving to achieve certain results this coming year I'd made them prideful boasting, never saying, "If it's the Lord's will for me, I'll do ___________ in 2013," but often spouting, "Look how disciplined and spiritually mature I will be in 2013."

I think the whole, "Duty is ours, results are God's" theory comes into play here.

I think I'd better re-think my strategy towards resolutions.

I think I've missed the point.  The boasting comes in not when the plans are made but when I decide which results are going to happen. 

So I asked my littlest sister what her resolution was when she came in this morning only to find out that she's light years ahead of me in the wisdom and maturity thing when she told me her resolve was to, "Do at least one cartwheel everyday."

1 comment:

  1. A couple of things came to mind as I read this. First, I agree with you. Resolutions are overrated. Most people make resolutions that are supposed to result in something physical like a thinner figure or something like that. The resolutions in our lives should be to improve our relationships with God and with others. Diets and exercise are fine as long as the goal is to ultimately have a more balanced lifestyle and take care of our bodies because that is our responsibility and God has told us that our bodies are His temple. One Biblical resolution is to do all things to the glory of God.

    Second, I think God would have us to make daily resolutions rather than yearly ones. This is practical for several reasons. For one thing it is easier to accomplish, for another it is easier to remember. It is easier to add up days of successfully accomplishing one goal than to look back at the end of the year and say "Oops, all my resolutions were ruined by February."

    Third, try one month of sugar free. :-) That's what I do and by the end of the month I eat sugar but I don't want it as much. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.