Friday, February 10, 2012

Those promises.

My life right now consists of working 40+ hours a week at my job, trying to keep up with the lives of my 20 immediate family members, eating healthy when I can manage it, exercising when I motivate myself to, and sleeping at least 8 hours each night. Keeping up with my friends and finding time to invest in their lives kinda fills up any other minutes that are left, and that's just the week days.

Figuring out any sort of balance took me a long time, and lately routine has become my best friend.

I have three different morning routines. One where I get up at 5:30, giving me time to make a good breakfast, spend time in the Word and linger with my blanket and my mug watching the sunrise before leaving at 6:30 to ride a bike to work.

My second routine looks more like, up at 6:30, shower, coffee, bible, sunrise, dressed and out the door by 7:30 to drive to work.

But the last one is where I find myself defaulting to more often than not. Up at 7:20, throw together an outfit suitable for work, grab something eatable and get out the door by 7:45 to get to work.

This morning, in the middle of that routine I checked my phone to find a message from a friend.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me She wrote. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

I love that verse. I especially love that, "No one will snatch them out of my hand" bit. It's one of "those promises". The ones that I remember and cling to when my faith is so small.

It got me thinking - as I drove to work - about those promises, as I mentally stored it in my treasure box for a time when I needed it. And it got me thinking about being in that place where a promise is all I can see, and it's keeping me alive.

I found myself wishing I were in that place this morning.

I realized that I'd rather be clinging to that life preserver in a huge ocean than slowly, comfortably and unknowingly drowning in a lukewarm bathtub that I filled up myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.