Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Life. It's good today.

I've had this song stuck in my head for 5 days now.   The message is great - the words, not so much.  I've had to catch myself several times to avoid singing it out loud, because it has words that are unbecoming for me to say.

I've got my toes in the water .......my <something else> in the sand.  Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand -  life is good today.... yeah, life is good today.
It started playing through my mind on Saturday.  I was on a surfboard, bobbing up and down in the line up, waiting for a set to come through.

Life is good today

"As if it isn't good any other day of the week?" I asked myself.

A morning fish fry on the beach with the family gathered around - goofing off, playing silly games, running races and making up competitions - followed by a afternoon surf session.  Not everyday events, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary.

"Okay so maybe 'today' is good" I concluded.  "But that doesn't mean that tomorrow's 'today' won't be great too!"

Cut to Sunday afternoon when I've finally gotten around to washing my car, inside and out.  The sun is shining down, drying the soap suds before I have a chance to rinse them off and as I'm standing there with my feet in a puddle of soapy water the song starts up again.

I've got my toes in the water, my <hmmm> in the sand...... Life is good today.


And again on Monday, laying in the grass with my little brother after working out with him.

And Tuesday evening, doing the dinner dishes with my family in the new kitchen.

In the song, the singer is on vacation in Mexico when he decides that life is good, but it's when he runs out of money and has to go back to work that he learns the good things in life aren't dependent on location or circumstance.  Life is what you make of it.

Today at work I was walking through the warehouse, listening to the birds singing and smelling the rain when I was reminded again.

Life is good today.



1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is...even if I did run over Anna's dog. :( There's always something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.