Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I'm all about mantras

Yesterday marked the passing of another year of my life.  Something about it always makes me nostalgic, reflective and very excited.


(Note: while I do get excited about birthday cake, that's not exactly what I was referring to here.)


It's a chance for me to examine my life, think about where I've been, where I am and where I'm going. The whole ghost of Christmases past, present and future thing only without the ghosts and without Christmas.


We sat around the dinner table after a succulent Mediterranean style dinner debating who got spanked the most as a child, revisiting the past.  I shared a funny anecdote from my day, dwelling on the present - and now, today, I'm looking forward to what God has in store for me.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, and not to harm you.  Plans to give you a hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

Verses like that are good for days like this.

If I've learned anything about aging, it's that you can't reverse it.  You always have the future, and you always have the past, but the present is just here for a couple of blinks.

...So walk on the clouds today. Laugh at the frustrating things. Smile at jerks. And always remember that letting people bring you down to their level is never worth it.

I wake up in the morning after all this reflection and celebration and expect to feel different.  I still feel excited, I feel older, (but that could be from staying up to late and eating junky food) and I feel inspired to make this next year - just like the last - the best of my life. In a way I am different, but mostly, I'm still me.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday yesterday! Hope you have a fabulous year! Much love and may God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this blog, nice, happy birthday! Your kinda cute btw.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.