Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"we can cry with hope, say goodbye with hope..."

So many thoughts are tumbling through my mind right now. My "Papa" passed from life into glory yesterday.

He was a story-book type of grandpa. I'll never forget the way he would make time to play with us, to chase us around the yard, to let us "climb -the-mountain" and then swing us down.

He'd mow his lawn with an old fashioned push-mower, letting us "help" push it up the hill, and then share his diet coke with us, as a treat. To this day, diet coke is one of the only sodas I like.

I'll never forget the way his beard tickled my ear when he'd whisper secrets. Sometimes it was a silly tongue twister, but often it was, "Never forget, Papa loves you very very much."

When I was 3 we moved into the house next-door to Papa and Grandma. Those twelve years were such a gift! I got to know my grandparents for who they really were. Whenever Papa would go anywhere we'd wait in anticipation for his return. We'd run down the street and flag down his car, which he would then let us "drive" home. (Until we were too big to sit on his lap and squeeze beneath the steering wheel.

In Papa and Grandma's house there's a sign over the dining-room. It says "All because two people fell in love..." Eleven children, forty-five grandchildren and three great grandchildren. The last time I saw Papa, he pointed out that sign to me, (he was so proud of it, and pointed it out at least once per visit) and said, "Look what the Lord did!"

His last few weeks were spent in and out of the hospital. He declined really fast. The last few days his speech was so garbled nobody could understand him, but he continued to tell story after story, to beam with joy when his kids and grand-kids were around, and to tell us that he loved us.

I've been so privileged, so blessed, so joy-filled! Without hope, there can't be any joy, but I have hope. More than hope, I have faith. I know I will see him again.

Papa, I'll never forget. And I love you too.

3 comments:

  1. You express this so beautifully, Merrie! I am sorry for your loss, but glory with you in the fact that your grandpa is now in the presence of God. What an amazing legacy he has left behind. My heart goes out to you all. I know what you are going through. May the God of all comfort minister to your hearts during this time.
    Many blessings!
    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this, Merr. The memories are one thing we will always have with us. :)

    btw, there are four great-grandchildren. Josh and Joni have two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my Papa very much. I'm sure you will too. Isn't it a blessing to have such amazing people in our lives...that we will miss them always when they are gone?

    Love and hugs to all! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.