Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I dare you to die

A couple verses have been playing through my head, as stemmed from a conversation with a friend. We were discussing the balance of being in the world, but not of the world. He argued that when the cares of this world interfere with our heavenly mindset, we'd better withdraw ourselves. Which seems like a good idea at surface value, right?

But I kept thinking about it, and these two passages popped up.

"O generation of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him."

"What comes out of a man is what makes him "unclean". For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man unclean."

If anything is interfering with my "heavenly mindset," my relationship with Christ, it's not the world. It's me. Every evil thing that comes out of me is already in my heart. The world didn't put it there. If I sequester myself from the world it won't solve anything. I won't be letting my light shine, I won't be fulfilling the law of Christ, and I won't be purified by removing the source of any problems.

So what then? If the sin is inside me, there's nowhere I can go, nowhere I can hide. What can I do about it?

For we know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin - because anyone who has died has been freed from sin... Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has dominion over Him. The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

I dare you to die. Once you're dead, don't be afraid to let your light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.