Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13th, 7:30 am

Kaylee Jo just wandered in, her long braided hair all a mess, rubbing sleep out of her eyes. Its early still, especially for Kaylee. She's the princess of the family, and sleeps as late as we'll let her.

Little sisters grow up so fast. She was my "charge" as a toddler. I taught her how to read, potty trained her, instructed her on how to sit quiet in church and even disciplined her. I was twelve years old when she was born.

In a lot of ways, Kaylee challenges me. (Yeah, she challenges my authority in every way she can come up with, but that wasn't what I was getting at.) =) She watches me and emulates my behavior. When I'm diligent, she's diligent. When I do a Pilates routine in the living room, she comes along side and does it with me. She's developed a taste for coffee, and always wants mine. I brought a book to the beach with me, and the next week she brought two. Although she's not my "charge" anymore, I continue to teach her without realizing it, and in a lot of ways, she teaches me. I see myself in her a lot, but its not "me" so much as it's her imitating me.

Right now, she's sitting on the couch across from me with a mug of chai tea (coffee was her first choice, but we didn't have any.) and she's having a quiet time.

There's so many things I wish I could teach my sister about life, about love, about Jesus. But in this moment I've realized that the only way I'll teach her anything is by living it myself. A heavy responsibility lies on my shoulders, being an adult living at home. I hope and pray that I'll be a sister and daughter who brings honor to my parents and a godly example to my siblings.

"And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! It encourages me more than you know.